Monday, July 21, 2014

Heart Glasses


One day in my early years of flying, I was forced to get eyeglasses after failing to spot a landing strip off in the distance as early as I should have. I was very reluctant at first, but when I put the glasses on, I realized how many details I had been missing simply because I didn’t even know they were there! Though I wasn’t required to wear the glasses all the time, I hardly took them off for at least the first month because I was so impressed with the difference in all the little things around me that I’d never noticed before. Colors, sights, shapes and shadows all fascinated me with their clarity and crispness.

 
Over the past couple of years, I’ve realized that I’m going through the same experience all over again, except this time it isn’t the vision I have with my eyes, but rather with my heart. I’m not sure which happened first – whether my heart opened its eyes and began to see the incredible beauty of life, or if I was so inundated with beauty that my heart simply had to finally open its eyes. Either way, the result has been tremendous. I’m overwhelmed nearly every day with the crazy long line of fantastic people in my life. They give me hope, inspiration, comfort, humor, friendship and love.  They remind me of the need to help each other and that when we do this, we create a wave of positivity that resonates all around us.

Though many may knock the silliness of Facebook, I love scrolling through the pages of photos and updates from friends and family from all over the world. I am thrilled to see the truly happy faces, the shared triumphs and struggles and the way that I see people cope and thrive through the trials of life. I simply see beauty. Everywhere.

Thanks to my friend, Tonia, I’ve also even been able to really enjoy running again – not just as an exercise, but as treatment for my soul.  As a result, I’ve actually embraced my first attempt at an ultramarathon in September – a feat that years ago wouldn’t have even been a thought. However, I think being able to see the beauty in others also helps you to be able to turn the camera inward and see the positive aspects of myself. It’s been easy to criticize myself most of the time and I think for most people, we are well-versed in listing the endless faults we perceive in our bodies, minds and actions. But with a new outlook, I’m learning to see that when you start by really appreciating the person in the mirror, you become a better person to others as well.

I love my new glasses and unlike those that I received from the flight surgeon years ago, I hope that I never lose the novelty and feel the need to take these off! Happy running, everyone – or whatever makes your heart smile! J

No comments:

Post a Comment